Saturday’s scene: Travel reflections
Posted by My Itchy Travel Feet
at January 2nd
I couldn’t think of a better photo to represent our travel reflections for 2012 than this scene of Swiftcurrent Lake that Alan took on a Road Scholar hiking program in Glacier National Park. Besides being a literal interpretation of our travel reflections, the photo also represents the beautiful journeys to some pretty amazing destinations that Alan and I experienced this year. We think it deserves to be our picture of the year for 2012.
In 2012, we checked three items off our boomer bucket list:
- Celebrating New Year’s on a ship: I’ve always wanted to ring in the New Year on a ship. Alan and I made that happen on a personal trip with Silversea cruises through the Panama Canal that included greeting 2012 with a festive celebration.
- Staying at Many Glacier Hotel in Glacier National Park: A stay at this historic hotel has long been on my list. I checked that one off when Alan and I attended a Glacier National Park hiking program to report and photograph the experience for Road Scholar. Proving to myself that I could hike 30 miles in one week was an added bonus.
- Seeing the German Christmas markets: On a personal trip with AmaWaterways Christmas markets cruise, Alan and I soaked in all the holiday cheer that Germany has to offer while marking another item off my boomer bucket list. Although the trip ended on a down note—I had to go home early due to back trouble (I’ll be writing more about that soon)—crunching our way through snowy Christmas markets while sipping Gluwhein was all that I dreamed it would be.
Seeing new places, trying new activities, relocating to a new state:
- Visiting far-flung South Pacific destinations: on a personal cruise with Seabourn Odyssey from Sydney to Los Angeles, Alan and I marked off new-to-us South Pacific islands including New Caledonia, Iles de Pins, Fiji and America Samoa. We were truly cruising off-the-beaten-path.
- Learning to fly-fish on a visit to Helena: When Heidi O’Brein of the Helena Tourism Improvement District invited us to visit Helena, Alan and I discovered Montana’s delightful capital city. We also got our first chance to fly-fish on the Missouri River. There’s so much to do in Helena. Hey Heidi, we’ll be back.
- Glamping in Santa Barabara: On a road trip that included Santa Monica, Santa Barbara and West Hollywood, I discovered why a Toyota Venza just might be my next vehicle. The opportunity to kayak in the Pacific Ocean was an added bonus.
- Visiting Berlin and Beyond: A trip to Berlin, Poland and the former East Germany brought back memories of the Cold War. But, thanks to Visit Berlin and Air Berlin, I also discovered charming destinations that are off-the-beaten-path and just waiting to be discovered by boomer travelers. You’ll be reading more about my trip in 2013.
- Relocating to Montana: Alan and I finally did it. We made Montana our permanent home. If you’ve been reading our site for very long, you know that Montana has a special hold on us. Small town living is a big part of the appeal. We’ve been slowly introducing you to our off-the-beaten-path Montana discoveries. Look for more of the same in 2013.
Looking ahead to 2013:
To be honest, I much prefer looking ahead than remembering the past (although there are lessons to be learned from travel reflections, some of which I’ll be writing about). Until my back issue is resolved, our travels are up in the air. Alan and I are keeping our fingers crossed that our February Los Angeles to Los Angeles cruise on Silversea Spirit is still a go. We’ll be visiting two of our favorite cruise destinations—French Polynesia and Hawaii. And there might be a new sports car in our future, which means another sports car road trip is in the works.
I’ll be starting a new monthly series in January about making monthly health changes. I learned a big lesson with the back issues that I experienced on the Rhine River cruise—active travel depends on good health. So, I’ll be writing about one healthy change a month that we all can make. I hope you’ll join my challenge and make the healthy change with me.
And, our biggest news for 2013. On January 7, we’ll be revealing a new look at My Itchy Travel Feet. Alan and I can hardly wait to show you. Stay tuned!
What are your travel reflections for 2012? Where did you go? What did you do? Post a comment to share with us. Alan and I look forward to reading them.
Thanks to the following brands for working with us in 2012: Thermacare, Helena Tourism Improvement District, Toyota U.S.A., Road Scholar, Visit Berlin, Air Berlin, Marriott Rewards and Therafit shoes.